Situated in the Eastern portion of Chelan County, Chelan is one the most well-known vacation spots for part-time residents and tourists. Its location at the southeast end of the 50.5-mile, glacier-carved Lake Chelan provides residents and visitors with plenty of outdoor recreational opportunities and a fantastic all-year-round getaway. While the city of Chelan is home to around 4,000 permanent residents, the numbers typically increase to 25,000 during the summer season.
History of Chelan
The area of Chelan was named after its original inhabitants – a Native American tribe called the Chelan. Over the years, their numbers dwindled significantly due to sicknesses, outbreaks, and diseases.
Chelan had always been a popular vacation spot since the late 1800s. Since then, the town and the region relied on Chelan’s tourism as a major source of income.
After the arrival of European settlers William Sanders and Henry Domke in 1886, other settlers were encouraged to move to the area. The town was platted in 1889 and the townsfolk established a post office, a hardware store, a blacksmith’s shop, and saloons. The town attempted to incorporate in 1893 but did not succeed until 1902.
Now, Chelan continues to be a popular vacation spot that’s frequented by a large number of vacationers during the summer and winter seasons.
Chelan WA Real Estate
The charming city of Chelan offers scenic and panoramic views of Lake Chelan, the Columbia River, and its surrounding mountains. You’ll find a variety of residential real estate properties here such as single-family homes, townhouses, condominiums, waterfront homes, and vacant lots.
Each home in Chelan was planned and built to perfection, allowing the resident or the vacationer to take advantage of what the city and the lake have to offer. Majority of these homes also come equipped with high-quality home features such as gourmet kitchens, stainless steel appliances, and wonderful indoor-outdoor living spaces.
Lifestyle in Chelan, WA
- Lake Chelan – Known for being the largest national lake in Washington, Lake Chelan is a 50.5-mile long glacial lake that provides a number of recreational opportunities like boating, mountain biking, fishing, and hiking.
- Historic Downtown Chelan Association – Credited for the growth and health of the Chelan community, the Historic Downtown Chelan Association has strengthened the community through its maintenance and preservation of Chelan’s historic buildings and features. The organization also promotes various establishments, events, and projects in the downtown area.
- Lake Chelan Municipal Golf Course – This 18-hole golf course provides a scenic location for golfers of all skill levels. Aside from the incredible golf course, the Lake Chelan Municipal Golf Course also offers a full-service restaurant, a fully-stocked golf shop, and golf lessons.
- Chelan Riverwalk Park – Located along the Chelan River, this 12-acre park beside Lake Chelan provides residents and visitors with a river loop trail, picnic areas, and a boat launch. The park’s 1-mile river loop trail will give you picturesque views of Lake Chelan and its surrounding mountains.
- Chelan Evening Farmer’s Market – Aside from the fresh produce at the Chelan Evening Farmer’s Market in Riverwalk Park, you’ll find a number of activities and restaurants in this popular Thursday market.
If you want to learn more about Chelan WA Real Estate, feel free to contact us, Coldwell Banker Lake Chelan Properties, at (509) 682-7777 or info(at)CBChelan(dotted)com.